A cookie is a data file in which certain information is stored within a user’s browser. It stores given parameters or information about the user, providing an increased customisation and analysis about the user’s behaviour.
Types of cookies
There are different types of cookies, classified according to their final aim, when obtaining information about the users:
- Technical Cookies: The ones which are necessary to allow the user to browse a website, such as the ones required to store information about an online order.
- Customisation Cookies: Allow a website to customise its functions or content according to the data obtained by the cookies. For example, to present a website according to the user’s browser configured language.
- Analysis Cookies: Used for statistical aims. For example cookies used for Google Analytics monitoring.
- Advertisement Cookies: Cookies which are aimed to improve the efficiency of advertisement slots.
For more information regarding cookies: www.aboutcookies.org.
Disabling cookies in the most used browsers
- Chrome: Configuration → Advanced Options → Privacy → Content Configuration.For further information, please refer to Google Support or the browser’s help guide.
- Internet Explorer: Tools → Internet Options → Privacy → Configuration. For further information, please refer to Microsoft Support or the browser’s help guide.
- Firefox: Tools → Options → Privacy → History → Custom Configuration. For further information, please refer to Mozilla Support or the browser’s help guide.
- Safari: Preferences → Security. For further information, please refer to Apple Support or the browser’s help guide.